Grilled Tuna Taco
For the Basting Sauce Dressing
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 2 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 tsp. fresh chopped ginger
- 1-2 tsp. Sambal chili sauce
- ½ lemon, juiced
For the Salsa
- 1 cup mango, peeled and diced
- 1 cup ripe avocado, pit removed and diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 tbsp. lemon or lime juice
- ¼ cup pickled ginger, chopped
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Salad
- ½ cup carrot, thinly sliced
- ½ cup Daikon radish, thinly sliced
- ½ cup cucumber, thinly sliced
- ½ cup sprouts
- 2 tbsp. fresh chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp. fresh chopped Thai basil
- salt and pepper, to taste
For the Tuna
To prepare the basting sauce and dressing in a bowl combine soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, chili sauce and lemon juice. Transfer ½ cup of the mixture to another bowl and set aside for basting.
To prepare the salsa in a bowl combine mango, avocado, red onion, lemon or lime juice, olive oil and pickled ginger. Mix to combine, season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
In a large bowl gently toss sliced carrot, radish, cucumber and sprouts. Pour over remaining basting sauce/dressing, toss, garnish with cilantro and basil, season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
Preheat grill to high (about 450-500°F).
Combine black pepper, sesame seeds and kosher salt. Mix well and crust tuna steaks, on all sides, gently pressing the spices into the fish to adhere.
Grill tuna over direct heat for 1 to 2 minutes, per side, until just rare, basting with reserved ½ cup of dressing/basting liquid. Remove from grill, cool slightly and slice each tuna steak into 4.
To assemble the taco place one quarter of the watercress into the bottom of the taco shell. Place a layer of salad into the taco and top with sliced grilled tuna. Garnish with salsa. Repeat with remaining grilled tuna and taco shells and serve.
- 1 tbsp. fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 tbsp. sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp. Kosher salt
- 1 x 12-16 oz tuna loin, cut into 2 x 1 ½-inch thick steaks
For the Taco
- 4 large taco shells
- 1 cup watercress or shredded lettuce